Healthy SchoolsServices for schools in Halton
Halton Healthy Schools
The local Halton Healthy School initiative looks to help the whole school community, i.e. pupils, parents, governors and school staff, to be healthy.
The aim of Healthy schools is to deliver real benefits, specifically:
- to support the whole school community in developing healthy behaviours
- to help raise the achievement of children and young people
- to help reduce health inequalities
- to help promote social inclusion
The initiative offers all schools in Halton support, programmes within the school, training, resources, guidance and signposting to other services.
Below are details of some of the programmes we run in local schools in Runcorn and Widnes.
Healthitude – 6 week programme
- Targeting Year 6 and Year 8 (there is an element of flexibility depending on school need)
- The programme includes Healthy Eating, Tobacco Education, Alcohol Awareness, Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing, Healthy Relationships and Sexual Health and Cyber Bullying
Fit 4 Life Schools and Early Years
- The programmes vary in length from 1- 4 weeks depending on the age of the children identified for the programme. The following is covered throughout the programmes:
- Targets children in reception and years 3, 4, 5 and 8.
- The programme includes Healthy Eating education, Physical activity / active play and Parental involvement
5 Great Ways to Mental Wellbeing
This is an informal training session for school staff offering tool and resources to help implement the 5 Great Ways to Mental Wellbeing programme within the school.
Tasty Tuck Award
Healthy Snacks Award for primary schools which offers advice, support and guidance to help schools to meet the Healthy Snacks Award
Change4Life School Zone
Change4Life has developed a new resource for primary teachers called the School Zone, which provides curriculum-linked materials and inspiration to help schools teach children about healthy eating and being active.
The School Zone features exciting lesson ideas, homework tasks and whole school activities for you to use with KS1 and KS2 pupils.
Subscribe to the Change4Life School Zone newsletter and get access to resources and news about the upcoming January healthy eating campaign.