Tomato, squash and spinach curry
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoon of madras curry powder
- 1 small butternut squash/500g (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100g spinach (roughly chopped)
- 50g of uncooked brown rice per person
Tip # 1: If you like, add 400g (uncooked weight) of chicken – which is 1 portion of protein per serving
Tip # 2: You can also add 60g of low fat yoghurt or crème fraiche to the recipe to make a milder curry
- Soften the onion by lightly frying in a splash of water for 3-5 minutes.
- Then add curry powder, squash and tomatoes and 200ml of water.
- Cook for a further 3 minutes stirring well.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the squash is just cooked and the tomatoes have broken down.
- Stir through the spinach, it should wilt with the heat.
- Serve with cooked brown rice.
If you are following Fresh Start, this recipe provides the following amount of portions per person:
3 veg (1 – squash; 1 – tomatoes & onion; 1 – spinach)
2 carbs (rice)
1 protein (chicken – if added to the recipe)